CAREER OPPORTUNITIES 2023 /4
Mansfield Steiner School is a vibrant, expanding school situated in beautiful North East Victoria. Our school offers classes from Pre-school to Year 12, following the Australian Steiner Curriculum Framework to Year 10 and the International Baccalaureate Diploma in Years 11 and 12.
Mansfield Steiner school is seeking applications for the following positions:
Outdoor Education Teacher
Part-Time (0.6 -0.8FTE Fixed Term 2024)
– Year 9 Outdoor Education Program
Applications Close: January 15, 2024
About Mansfield Steiner School: Mansfield Steiner School is a renowned educational institution committed to holistic learning and personal development. As part of our educational philosophy, we offer a comprehensive Year 9 Outdoor Education Program designed to foster students’ connection with nature, build resilience, and develop important life skills through immersive outdoor experiences.
Child Safety Commitment: Mansfield Steiner School is committed to the safety and well-being of all students. The Deputy Principal Head of Primary School must uphold the highest standards of child safety, adhering to the school’s child safety policies and procedures. The successful candidate will undergo a rigorous screening process, including reference checks.
Position Overview: We are seeking enthusiastic and skilled Casual Outdoor Education Staff to join our Year 9 Outdoor Education Program team. The successful candidates will support the current Outdoor Education Coordinator in the delivery and preparation of programs.
- Assist the Outdoor Education Coordinator to plan, coordinate, and facilitate outdoor education activities, including hiking, camping, team-building exercises, nature exploration, and more.
- Collaborate with the Outdoor Education Coordinator to develop engaging and educational outdoor curriculum that aligns with the school’s values and objectives.
- Ensure the safety and well-being of students during outdoor activities, demonstrating a strong commitment to risk management and adhering to safety protocols.
- Teach essential outdoor skills such as navigation, shelter building, fire safety, and Leave No Trace principles.
- Foster a positive and inclusive learning environment that encourages teamwork, personal growth, and the development of resilience.
- Provide guidance and mentorship to students, helping them build confidence, self-awareness, and a deeper connection with nature.
- Assist in organising logistics for outdoor trips, including transportation, equipment preparation, and meal planning.
- Maintain clear communication with students, parents, and fellow staff members regarding program details, schedules, and any safety-related concerns.
- Contribute to program evaluation and improvement by providing feedback, insights, and suggestions based on your experience and observations.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- VIT Registration or capacity to secure this upon commencement.
- A passion for outdoor education, environmental awareness, and promoting a connection with nature.
- Previous experience in facilitating outdoor education programs, preferably in a school or camp setting.
- Wilderness First Aid certification or higher (e.g., Wilderness First Responder) is a mandatory requirement.
- Strong understanding of outdoor safety procedures, risk management, and emergency response.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to engage with students, parents, and colleagues effectively.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team, demonstrating flexibility and adaptability in a dynamic outdoor environment.
- Working with Children Check (or equivalent) and a valid driver’s license.
- Current certifications in outdoor education.
Outdoor Education Teacher (0.8 FTE). This time fraction will be comprised of OE camps and excursions plus other duties as required by the school.
Casual positions with variable hours, depending on the scheduling of outdoor education activities. Staff may be required to work evenings and weekends during program delivery. Flexibility in availability is essential.
Application Process: To apply, please submit your resume, and a cover letter detailing your relevant experience to Suz Mackay at [email protected] Applications will be accepted until January 15, 2024
Please note that this position may be filled if appropriate candidates are found prior to the closing date.